What Language Does Your Patient Hurt In?
A Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Health Care
Suzanne Salimbene, Ph.D. Second Edition
Now You Can Have, at Your Finger-tips, A PRACTICAL GUIDE CONTAINING:
Tips for Appropriate Care & Treatment of People from Diverse Cultural, Linguistic, and Religious Backgrounds
Keys to developing successful patient-caregiver relationships
Culturally Specific health beliefs and practices of:
- African Americans
- American Indians
- Asians (Chinese, Koreans, Southeast Asians, Filipinos, Hmong)
- Eastern Europeans (Bosnians, Poles, Russians)
- Peoples from the Middle East (Egyptians, Iranians, Etc.)
Revised edition includes:
- new updated material and reading lists for each chapter
- expanded Introduction including patient interview questions that enable caregivers to develop a cultural profile of each individual patients health, illness, and illness prevention beliefs and practices.
- expanded Tips for Improving the Cross-Cultural Caregiver/Patient Relationship, Tips for Determining the Individual Etiquette, Beliefs and Practices of Patients from Other Cultures, and Tips For Diet And Nutrition Assessment and Counseling.
- a new on the possible effect of religious beliefs on health/illness practices that includes religious beliefs of the Amish, Christian Scientists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Mormons, as well as a set of Tips for Offering Appropriate Care to Diverse Religious Groups.
Carry this handy, pocket-sized guide in your lab coat for “on the spot” information.
Train medical and nursing staff in cultural awareness, sensitivity and culturally appropriate care.
Use as a text in building medical school and nursing school curricula for cultural competence.
Assist your entire institution in meeting criteria for cultural and linguistic competence as required by:
- Department of Health & Human Services
- Office of Minority Health National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Competent Care
- Joint Commission on the Accreditation of HealthCare Organizations (JCAHO)
- Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA)
About the Author:
Suzanne Salimbene, Ph.D., a much sought-after keynote, dinner, and conference speaker, is president of Inter-Face International. Dr. Salimbene offers customized skills-based workshops for physicians, nurses, administrators, managers, and pharmaceutical companies.
Dr. Salimbene has published in the 1999 Guide to Managed Care Strategies: An Annual Report on the Latest Practices and Policies in the Managed Care Environment (Faulkner & Gray), The Journal of Nursing Care Quality, Aspen’s Advisor for Nurse Executives, and California Medicine. Culturally Competent Care, Inter-Face International’s quarterly newsletter, has a broad subscription base of hospitals, HMOs, private practices, and diversity trainers throughout the country.
|Pages: 200 (approx) E-book (see below)|
Cost: $29.95 each
Once the book is purchased, a .pdf will be e-mailed to you as an attachment.
CALL (800) 682-1261 for availability and pricing for licenses for multiple copies and/or site license.