Anyone Can Be an Ally
Anyone Can Be An Ally: Speaking Up for an LGBT Inclusive Workplace
LGBT Inclusive Workplace : When gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people don’t feel safe and valued at work, productivity goes down, and organizations fail in their efforts to attract and retain the best and brightest talent. Many organizations realize this, and have created clear HR policies on the issues. But in order for the climate to change, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people need allies to speak up in creating an LGBT-friendly workplace.
In this comprehensive training program, Brian McNaught demonstrates how anyone can be an ally to create a respectful, friendly workplace, that is inclusive of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender co-workers.
Learning Objectives of Anyone Can Be An Ally:
- Put a face on the issues that confront lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the workplace.
- Recognize the important role of allies.
- Learn what to say and when, what words to use and how to get your words and music in sync.
- Practice skills in being allies.
- LGBT awareness in the workplace.
- How to promote LGBT in the workplace
- To create a workplace in which everyone feels welcome.
- Understand which behaviors are considered welcoming and which ones are considered unwelcoming.
- Practice our skills in stepping forward to make our colleagues feel as if they want to give 100% of themselves to the job.
The DVD includes the 14-minute training video written and presented by Brian with English, Spanish & French Canadian subtitles. It also includes 4 important Extra Features.
- FAQ: Brian answers the questions he’s asked the most.
- Tom’s Story: this is a personal story that Brian tells at all his workshops. It’s about creating a workplace that’s welcoming for a closeted gay co-worker to come out. This can put a face on the issue.
- Guided Imagery: Brian takes viewers on a journey to learn what it would be like to be straight in a gay world. This exercise can help open people up to look at the issue from a new angle.
- Interview with Brian: this is a behind-the-scenes conversation intended for the facilitator, in which Brian shares more about the challenges of doing this work, and how best to use this program.
The Leader’s Guide material is comprehensive and designed for flexible use. It offers a lesson plan for a 60 to 90-minute training workshop, as well as optional modules that use the Extra Features to expand and deepen your training.
Along with the Leader’s Guide, LGBT Inclusive Workplace : Anyone Can Be an Ally also includes participant guides, handouts and a PowerPoint presentation. All of these PDF materials are reproducible directly from the CD-ROM, or you can import them into your training materials.