“We want a culture that is inclusive and where everyone who joins feels they have opportunities to succeed and grow.” -Nellie Borrero
There’s a lot of talk these days about diversity and inclusion programs in the workplace. Yet, while people often have a grasp of what diversity looks like and how to put it into action, inclusion can be lost and forgotten in the shuffle. In this blog, we’ll explore why inclusion is so critical in the workplace, and how diversity and inclusion (and their benefits) complement one another. Let’s get started.
What is Inclusion?
Inclusion is the state of being valued, respected, and supported for one’s authentic self. It is essential that the workplace embraces all employees as their authentic selves and finds ways to lift them up. To be your one true authentic self, you must first feel included. Here are some ways diverse individuals can feel included:
- If they are able to use their voice
- If they are able to participate in the decision-making processes within a group
- If they are able to increase the amount of power they have within the group
- If they are able to feel like they belong
Why is Inclusion Important in the Workplace?
As noted above, many organizations have learned how to incorporate diversity into their workplaces but have failed on the inclusion front. The two are joined at the hip because, without inclusion, diversity efforts will not succeed. Here are a few examples of ways that you can help to create an inclusive environment.
- By educating your staff and leaders
- By listening and communicating effectively within the workplace
- By embracing employees as their full and authentic selves
Ultimately, inclusion connects strongly to employee engagement. When you have employees that feel included in the conversations at work, they’ll feel more motivated to work hard for your company. It’s as simple as that!
Benefits of Diversity and Inclusion
Are you wondering why there’s so much buzz around the 4 key types of diversity training in the workplace? Not only do they benefit your employees but your company’s bottom line as well. Here are the top benefits of diversity and inclusion.
- Diversity and inclusion result in happier employees
- Diversity and inclusion in the workplace create a “growing” culture
- Diversity and inclusion provide you with a more educated and well-versed workforce
- Diversity and inclusion give your company good PR
- Diversity and inclusion allow you to capture a greater market share
- Diversity and inclusion help you with better recruiting and retention
- Diversity and inclusion provide protection for your branding, which is always something you should think about when you’re running a company
- Diversity and inclusion make your employees more productive and motivated to work together
- Diversity and inclusion in your workforce drive the momentum behind your D&I program, which helps you include more voices
Take a step back and ask yourself, “What am I doing that promotes inclusivity at my company and in my workplace?” Most employees and managers don’t have a good answer. Tackle this issue today! It impacts and benefits everyone. Stay up to date with our entire 2022 Diversity Calendar!
Diversity Resources – we’re the diversity specialists! Since 1992, Diversity Resources offers you the best selection of tools for diversity in the workplace training
Keep up to date with our 2022 Interfaith calendar for this year.