Building a Diverse Workforce - Program 5
Is It the Cement Ceiling or Is It Me?
Career Issues for non-Management People of Color
A couple of years ago, View Magazine called our series, Diversity: Creating Success for Business and People "one of the best products about diversity on the market." And customers agreed!
Now, we can offer you a follow-up series from the same company, ARMC. Building a Diverse Workforce for the Global Millennium is a 20-volume series that covers a huge variety of diversity issues.
Each program also presents critical business concepts like building trust and respect, performance appraisals, team building and leadership.
Program 5: "Is It the Cement Ceiling or Is It Me?: Career Issues for Non-Management People Of Color"
While many white men believe that their careers are held up because of unfair advantages given to people of color, many women and people of color believe that their chances are limited because white men are still the advantaged group. This scenario shows how a black non-exempt person who went to school at night believes his career is blocked because of covert racism. While it is not clear that racism is the block, it is clear that a lack of career planning and a breakdown in communication can lead to perceptions of unfair treatment.
George Bell and Jack James
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Understanding the importance of mentoring/coaching to the success of people of color
- Understanding the importance of career planning and development
- Developing effective coaching skills
- Understanding the importance of regular communication and feedback
- Improving understanding of subtle racism
- Understanding the impact of racism on retention of diverse employees
- Becoming effective allies to people of color
- DVD (11 Minutes)
- Comprehensive Facilitator's Guide
This program is part of the Building a Diverse Workforce in the Global Millennium series. Discounted pricing is available on series purchase.
Copyright Date: 1999
- Dramatic Vignettes w/Instruction
- Hiring, Interviewing Skills, and Employee Retention
- Global Diversity Series
- Federal, State and Local Governments - 10%
- Federal Government (GSA) - 25%
- Non-profit - 10%
- K-12, University and Graduate Schools - 20%
For more information or to order a video, e-mail email@example.com or call (800) 682-1261 .